Rutgers logo
University Academic Affairs

Types of Cooperative Academic Programs

Accordion Content

  • A degree offered by institutions or two units from the same institution together-—both units appear on a single diploma. For example, the RU-Newark BA in Biology with NJIT and the AAS in Respiratory Therapy offered by SHP and seven individual community colleges.

  • Two sequential or concurrent degrees cooperatively offered by two institutions or units at the same institution—with minimal amount of shared coursework. When degrees are at two different levels, the last year of the lower degree program often coincides with first year of the higher degree program. For example, JD/MBA, MD/PhD, MPP/MPH, BA/EdM – since most of these are internal between two RU units.

  • Two identical (or similar) degrees offered by two institutions, in which each offers some portion of a full curriculum. Students receive a degree from each institution—double counting of credits. Double/Parallel Degrees are only available for partnerships with international institutions, for example the BS in Chemical Engineering from Rutgers SOE and BS in Chemical Engineering from South China University of Technology. These programs often accomplished through a transfer agreement.

  • A cooperative agreement where degrees at two different levels (e.g., Bachelor's/Master's) are completed sequentially, and where completion of the first degree is a prerequisite to the second degree. For example, the BS/MPH with Stockton University or the BA/MS Physician Asst. program with Kean U and SHP. Please note this is a legacy UMDNJ distinction—legacy RU units call them dual degrees.

  • A cooperative agreement between two institutions where the lower degree program requirements at the first institution are coordinated with the prerequisites for admission to a higher degree program at the second institution. For example, the BS/DMD with New Jersey City University and RSDM; the AS/BS with Raritan Valley Community College and SEBS—biotechnology major; and the AS in Health Information Technology/BS in Health Information Management with Rowan College at Burlington County and SHP.

  • A cooperative agreement facilitating transfer from one institution to another in order to allow students to complete a double degree (2 + 2) or a dual degree (usually 3 + 1 or 3 + 2). For example, the BS/MS in Chemical Engineering with SOE, SGS and Tianjin University (a 3 + 2 agreement). Articulation agreements are program-specific—transfer agreements may be program specific or institutional (like the NJ Statewide Transfer Agreement).