Information for International Postdoctoral Researchers
Rutgers University is home to a vibrant community of postdoctoral researchers from all over the world. In fact, nearly 40% of all Rutgers postdocs are foreign nationals.
The offices below are your first point of contact for international postdocs and are your home away from home. Through one-on-one orientations, international postdocs receive important information about their visas and how to navigate the campus and state. You'll also learn about upcoming events and opportunities to connect with other international scholars.
- New Brunswick, Camden, and Rutgers Biomedical and Health Sciences: Rutgers Global - International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS)
- Newark: Office of International Student Services
For Visa Matters, Rutgers Global – International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) Offers Rutgers–Camden, Rutgers–New Brunswick, and RBHS international scholars immigration processing and answers your questions to ensure that your status remains legal while you’re in the United States. The ISSS office also provides:
- Personal advising sessions to resolve your particular issues and answer your questions
- Cross-cultural, fun, and informative events and programs for you and your dependents
- Communications on campus and community life and immigration updates
- Resources when you arrive to help you obtain a driver’s license
Considerations for Hiring a Foreign National as a Postdoctoral Researcher
As a first step for faculty looking to hire a foreign national as a postdoc, always consult Rutgers University’s institutional policy on Employing Foreign nationals – Found in Rutgers Policy Library at 60.1.2 and on the ISSS website.
Eligibility for employment is determined by:
- Assessing an individual’s current immigration status (if already in the U.S.) and their immigration status history in relation to the position being offered.
- Eligibility based on a combination of regulatory factors and Rutgers policy.
- Some individuals may be only eligible for certain kinds of positions, or only for positions of limited duration.
- Some individuals may not be eligible for employment at all. For this reason, it is critical that the office of International Student and Scholar Services be consulted prior to hiring a foreign national if there are any doubts whatsoever about that individual’s employment eligibility.
To ensure completion of their background check, medical clearance, and acquisition of health insurance coverage and housing, it is highly recommended that all international postdocs arrive at least two weeks prior to their postdoctoral appointment start date before commencing work in your lab.
- Tax Information for International Scholars at Rutgers
- Federal Information for International Taxpayers
*The OPA staff are neither licensed nor qualified to provide tax advising sessions. We recommend working with a tax professional.