Investing in Faculty Diversity at Rutgers
August 5, 2021
Dear Rutgers Community,
As we strive toward academic excellence, strategic institutional clarity, and the achievement of “a beloved community,” we recognize that inclusive excellence is a key component of all three goals.
Last summer’s internal equity audit of Rutgers’ central administration revealed that despite a strong belief in the importance of diversity and inclusion, operational shortcomings have made fulfilling those beliefs nearly impossible. Building on the equity audit, the diversity strategic planning process launched in January has identified faculty diversity as a key area in need of institutional investment and alignment across all four chancellor units and the central administration.
Thus, we are pleased to announce a new, university-wide Presidential Faculty Diversity Initiative that strategically aligns with the overarching goals we have set for creating systemic change at Rutgers. In establishing this initiative, we are committing up to $45 million from central administration funds over an initial 5-year period.
Each of the programs within the Presidential Faculty Diversity Initiative is designed to help further Rutgers’ goal of diversifying its faculty and graduate community.
- Dedicated funds will support the Accelerated Recruitment of Individual Faculty, with a modified recruitment process that will allow us to target exceptional scholars.
- A Faculty Cluster Hiring program will facilitate the hiring of multiple faculty engaged in related scholarship, in three areas of emerging excellence targeted for growth at the university:
- Race, Racism, and Inequality;
- Health Equity; and
- Diversity in STEM Disciplines.
- Through visiting faculty appointments, we will immediately increase the diversity of the faculty who are engaging and mentoring our students while exploring Rutgers as a vibrant place to build careers and make long-term contributions.
- A Presidential Postdoctoral Fellows program will give promising scholars two years of mentored research and teaching and create a pathway to a possible tenure-track appointment; and
- A Presidential Visiting Faculty Fellows program will bring exceptional scholars (both junior and senior faculty) and practitioners to any Rutgers campus for a year’s residence.
A diverse faculty is a cornerstone of academic excellence. By reaching out far and wide to recruit a diverse cohort of faculty who will then be supported, mentored, and developed in a way that fosters retention and eliminates isolation, Rutgers will set in motion a self-reinforcing academic community that is committed to diversity and inclusive excellence.
To learn more about the initiative, visit facultydiversity.rutgers.edu.
President and University Professor
Prabhas V. Moghe
Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs and Distinguished Professor
Enobong (Anna) Branch
Senior Vice President for Equity