Rutgers University is a Sustaining Member of the National Postdoctoral Association (NPA), and one of the greatest benefits is you can become an Affiliate Member of the NPA for free! The Office of Postdoctoral Affairs in collaboration with Dr. Kathleen Scotto —Vice Chancellor for Research, Rutgers Biomedical and Health Sciences and Vice Dean, School of Graduate Studies —bring to all of you the opportunity to have a free affiliate membership to the NPA.
We encourage everyone to take advantage of this opportunity to help you network with other postdocs across the country and gain access to members-only resources that can help further your career.
Signing up is simple. Click on this link, choose the "Postdoc-Affiliate Membership' category, and follow the registration process. Once you click “Submit” the NPA Membership Manager will review your Affiliate membership within five working days, and you will receive an email when it has been approved.
As an NPA Affiliate Member, you are entitled to these benefits:
- Subscription to NPA e-alerts, a periodic news announcement, and The POSTDOCket, the NPA’s official monthly newsletter
- Reduced registration fees to the NPA Annual Conference & eligibility for the NPA travel award program
- Access to members-only NPA web content, such as career planning resources and policy information
- Access to NPA member groups to connect & network with fellow NPA members
- Discounts to some services and products.
- Opportunities to serve and contribute your expertise on a variety of NPA committees
- National representation on postdoctoral issues
The NCFDD is an independent professional development, training, and mentoring community of faculty, postdocs, and graduate students from more than 450 colleges and universities. Its resources are highly beneficial--not only for faculty and students of color but for all in need of general mentoring and other resources to support transitions throughout their careers.
By becoming an institutional member, all faculty, postdocs, and graduate students have access to the following member resources at no additional cost:
- Weekly Monday motivator
- Monthly core curriculum webinars
- Monthly guest expert webinars
- Access to multi-week courses
- A private discussion forum for peer-mentoring & problem-solving
- Monthly accountability buddy matches
- Moderated writing challenges
- Access to the member library that includes past webinar materials, referrals, and readings
In addition to the resources available to you as an institutional member, the center also offers professional development training and intensive mentoring programs. To claim your institutional membership, you will need to activate your personal membership account.
How to activate your membership:
- Visit the NCFDD join page and select our institution from the drop-down list
- Choose the campus most convenient to you
- Select “activate my membership” (by entering name, email, etc.)
You will receive an activate my account/confirmation email so you can get started right away
Rutgers University offers free access to Aurora to all STEM, Humanities, Social Sciences PhD students and postdocs. Visit this link, choose Rutgers as the subscribing institution, and create your account using your net id.
Curious about where you can take your PhD?
Explore AURORA, an eLearning Platform from Beyond the Professoriate that you now have exclusive access to. AURORA is designed to help you: And so much more! You CAN bring your knowledge and PhD to many career fields. AURORA also has interviews with over 170 PhDs. Listen to their stories, and see where you can take your PhD.
Are you beginning to explore your career options?
Log in to Aurora and watch the Career Interviews. These short videos are organized by broad discipline: humanities, social sciences, biomedical sciences, and STEM. By watching you'll learn about an interviewee’s specific career, how they got started in their current role, and the skills non-academic employers value in job candidates.
Are you already in the job market—or plan to be in the next 6 months?
Log in to Aurora and start with the programs of study Beyond Prof has designed especially for job seekers. For those looking at post-academic career options check this program. For people on the academic job market check out these programs. Each program of study has video seminars taught by PhD experts. Topics include document preparation, hiring and negotiating, and online job search strategies.